Sunday, October 30, 2005

This week I didn't really find anything new that totally grabbed me and changed my world - it was more of the same old, same old. I listened to a lot of hip-hop, and noise stuff - this week was very "beat-heavy", except for my brief introduction with the new SunnO))) album, and some Fennesz live bootlegs.

And now for my week in music...


Wolf Eyes' Dread is the most Burned Mind-ish of all the pre-Burned Mind albums. The title itself is pointing toward the dub influence in their work. This record is very heavy on the digital and analog delay, the screamed vocals, and the heavy, industrial, throbbing beats. While Burned Mind meets sort of halfway between this album and their very ethereal Slicer, Dread is almost even more straight-forward and song-y Wolf Eyes releases. Their second best album, and part of "The Big Five" Wolf Eyes releases, along with their self-titled debut, Slicer, Dead Hills, and Burned Mind. All these releases are amazing in their own right and different enough to have been released by completely different bands.

I have a very strong Wu-Tang Clan obsession. I think that 36 Chambers is the absolute pinnacle of hip-hop - dark, lyrical, evocative, passionate, angry, and paradoxical - how can an album be so ethereal while at the same time be so straightforwardly down to earth? The RZA's beats compliment the gritty, through-the-teeth rhyme style of the eight MCs, and the best post 36 Chambers solo albums are undoubtedly some of the best hip-hop albums of all time. The cream of the solo Wu-Tang crop is Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx. It reigns supreme in all categories - it is artistically untouchable in the field of production, lyrics and rhyme delivery. Mad props.

This week's last pick was a tough choice, especially since I visit this album so often. This release remains one of my top albums of all time, and it seemed to offer the perfect soundtrack for some moments of my life in the past seven days. Isis's Oceanic is by far the most perfect metal album of all time. The music moves you in such an unprecedented way that I find anyone would be unable to feel the same. Its haunting, washing distorted guitars create such an atmospheric effect on the listener that I find myself incapable of shutting it off until completion - and when I do, I find that I have either committed some sort of great injustice to the world of music, or I feel rather incomplete, and have to return to the record at the exact spot I've left off and finish listening - it is a testament, a monolith, an epic feat of artistic achievement. I feel for this record unlike any other.


Next week in music...

Haven't really been keeping track of new releases lately, I've been trying to improve my back catalogue. I'm anxiously trying to track down a digital copy of Deceit by This Heat, but I doubt I'll have any luck. Check back next Sunday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home