Sunday, October 23, 2005


This week, not so heavy on the metal. I did manage to tone it down a bit, although I have lost the shame in admitting that I enjoy banging my head. I'm actually pushing it on people now; it's as though I'm coming out of the metal closet. I listened to the new Early Man record today, and despite the fact that it's a bit too "hair metal"-ish for me, there were endearing qualities in that which I would have waved away mere weeks ago.


Didn't see any good bands this week, unfortunately. Saw Thumbsucker, that Mike Mills movie, which Elliot Smith did a vast amount of the music for and I thought it was a fantastic film. On the musical front...

The Foreign Exchange's Connected is a heartbreaking work of staggering genius. It explodes with a delicious introduction, laying down the most ethereal electronica-inspired beats I've heard in a very, very long time. It also mixes soul and hip hop effectively - the evidence of course being "Happiness", the twelfth track on this excellent album. That was definitely a standout track of last year, and I feel sorry to say that I missed the boat and only bought Connected now.


Matthew Dear blows my mind. Leave Luck to Heaven has some of the most intricately woven, delicately crafted dance beats I've heard since Aphex Twin's Windowlicker. Gettin' down has never felt this artsy-fartsy - "Is it from Manchester, circa 1991 or Berlin, circa 1974?" Perfect mix of rave culture and black turtlenecks. His other album, Backstroke, is elegant as well, although the enveloping, shadowy sense of darkness in this record is too appealing to avoid.


I have never owned an album as over the top as Frozen Corpse Stuffed With Dope by Agoraphobic Nosebleed. It is undeniably pummeling grindcore, with sadistically humurous lyrics, and a drum machine that allows the band to reach speeds exceeding 220 bpm. The distorted, grunted, horrowshow vocals are so unbelievably intense, and the songs are so short. This album is awesome. So is the title.



Next week in music...

Hopefully I'll see a decent concert or two. That's my only wish. This week seemed sort of music-less due to the lack of live music...see you next Sunday...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home